Saturday, October 29, 2011

Why Would You Ever?




First, I am so excited that our ted talk only has to be 10 minutes. I thought it had to be 20 and was freaking out a little bit.

Second... I'm thinking about doing my topic. I think I want to talk about something to do with animals. I changed my mind because I wanted to talk about something I am very passionate about. I LOVE animals! I hate people that mistreat animals and would be in jail if I could have my way with some of those people. I thought about being an animal cop, but again I would probably be in jail because I would kill the people that hurt the animals.

I am a vegetarian and started a club at Stockton called the animal friendly organization where we do community service projects and raise money for different animal organizations. Last year we worked with a horse rescue that saved horses from the slaughter auction, rehabilitated the horses, and put them up for adoption to loving homes. This was an amazing experience. This year we are doing a dog show called the "shelter show." It's going to happen in the spring and we are going to have local shelters bring dogs that are up for adoption. We are going to have categories where people can also enter their dogs to win either best looking, best dressed, best mixed mutt, or best trick. All the proceeds are going to benefit the local shelters. I did this in high school for save the satos. Basically the same concept, but it was dogs from Puerto Rico.

We raised a littler over $2000 at my high school so I am hoping that as a college event we make even more!

I have been a vegetarian for 4 years. I stopped eating red meat 6 years ago. I wouldn't get up in front of the class and tell everyone to stop eating meat, but I would just educate. I will stay away from the gory stuff because that turns people off. My aim and so what would be for people to not just turn off to the idea of not eating meat. That people can survive without eating meat and can not only survive, but be healthy. That being a vegetarian does not mean you are weak and fragile. Does not mean you do not get enough protein. I would want people when they hear someone say that they are a vegetarian, not to shut out the idea or stop listening right away, but to have an open mind and see that it is a possibility or just hear the person out for why they are a vegetarian with an open mind.

I am not oblivious to the fact that most people completely reject the idea of being a vegetarian, but I also know that most people have a lot of misconceptions about being vegetarian. My hope would be to change some of the misconceptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment